Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Don't eat this Book by Morgan Spurlock.

This is basically his film, Super Size Me in book form. The premise of the film is that he eats nothing but McDonalds for 30 days, three meals a day. There are other rules he sticks to, but I don't want to give spoilers for the film or the book.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I found the content informative, such as the appendix showing which brands are owned by big tobacco corporations (though I'm not sure how far this extends outside America- I'm in the UK), and details of marketing strategies used to ensure children like going to these places- and indeed, how these tactics have been going on since the 1950's. The book discusses America's relationship with food, and how this is spreading accross the globe, along with school meals, and how McDonald's was critiscised for not allowing overweight people in their adverts.

However, and it's a big however, I found Spurlock's tone arrogant and sometimes childish. Yes, this is a heavily researched book, citing sceintific journals etc, but referring to "UpChuck E. Cheese" and "McCrap" really does his argument no good- in fact, it lessens it in my mind. I liked the film, but feel the book could have been better. I'd say this was worth a read if you're interested, as a source for further information, but if you didn't like the film I don't think you'll like this book.

No comments: